Monday, January 30, 2012

Hale Freezes Over 10k Recap

Today's Workout:  30 minutes weights, 8 miles running
***

And I'm back in the saddle!  Two months off of racing was incredibly nice and much, much needed but I must admit I was itching to see where my fitness was at.

I was pretty nervous going into this race for 3 reasons:

1.  I was wearing the PR pumpkin shirt!  You can read about the sisterhood of the traveling pumpkin shirt here.  Basically everyone that has worn the shirt thus far has PR'd and the pressure was definitely on me to keep the tradition alive.





2.  I trained specifically for this race.  I have never really trained for a short distance race before so the fact that I actually trained specifically for the distance was weighing heavily on my shoulders.

3.  I felt "rusty".  Having not raced in 2+ months I really did not know what I was capable of and if I had trained enough.  I had skipped a couple of hard workouts because of my shin set back and was afraid I didn't train enough.

The day before the race my friend Walter offered to come down and run with me and help me pace.  I was nervous about this but jumped at the opportunity.  We met up before the race and did a nice 3.5 mile warm up.  It was only 11 degrees out but the warm up felt pretty good.  I was afraid the cold temps would effect me but just tried not to think about it.  Walter and I talked about my plan and I told him I was just shooting for a PR and a sub-7 pace.

Me and Walter!  Walter is an awesome runner and did a great job at keeping me motivated.
The race was not chip timed so I started towards the front but behind the first row of fast runners.  I did not want to start out too fast and since there was a 5k mixed in I knew there would be quite a few runners in front of me.  Quite frankly placing or winning my AG did not matter to me that day.  I just wanted a PR!

Mile 1:  6:34  Crap!!  I felt like I was going much slower, I felt good, breathing was completely under control and I was chatting with runners along the way.  I told Walter I was not that fast and we better slow down.

Mile 2:  6:35  So much for slowing down.  This mile was all gradual downhill and I can pound out the downhill like a maniac.  Me and Walter chatted the entire time and I felt way too good to be true. Runners High?

Mile 3:  6:44 This mile still felt great and I was glad to see I had slowed it down a bit.  Walter and I chatted and he talked to me about strategy and surging.  There was a girl about 50 yards ahead of me and I wanted to keep her in sight.  I figured she was about the 3rd place female but really didn't know since the 10k/5k started out together.

Mile 4:  7:18  Shit hit the fan!  This mile was ALL gradual uphill and it suddenly occurred to my legs that I had ran 3 incredibly fast miles.

Mile 5:  7:35??  Seriously it got worse?  Yes indeed it did...sad but true!  There was a stretch of straight uphill for about .25mi and my breathing was literally out of control.  I wasn't wearing a HR monitor but if I would have been I'm thinking it would have registered at least 305!  I have never so badly wanted to walk or dnf in a race....but I kept on pushing. 

Mile 6:  7:09 just keep swimming, just keep swimming.  Gradual incline the entire way but I was in fight mode and hanging by a string or a limb or a pumpkin shirt something. ;)

Mile 7:  6:27  I had no kick in me but I looked up at the clock and it read 41:xx.  I think I closed my eyes and pushed as hard as I could in hopes of sub-42.  But I just did not have it in me.

Official Finish Time:  42:03/6:46 average pace
Garmin Time:  42:03/6:58 average pace  (The course was short and my garmin only registered 6.06 mi)

My gorgeous Momma was of course cheering for me at the finish.  My Dad was there too but I didn't get a picture.  My parents are so awesome to come out and support me.  Love them!

All PR credit goes to the incredibly sweaty pumpkin shirt!  :)
Initially I was incredibly upset about my time and my performance.  I have been working so hard on pacing and I felt like I had completely failed not only myself but Walter as well.  I wanted to cry, run away, or at least hide.  But my spirits were boosted when I learned that despite my completely horrible pacing I had somehow managed to finished 2nd overall female. I also set a new 10k PR and shaved 2 minutes off of my time on this course from last year. 


2nd place overall female.

Top three female 10k runners
Despite the obstacles I faced in this race overall it was a good experience.  The Hale Center puts on a great race and it is always just so fun to be around other runners who share my same passion for the sport.  Runners are awesome and regardless of how good or bad I run I always leave a race excited and eager to keep learning, keep training harder, and continue growing as an athlete. 

11 weeks of training left until the Boston Marathon!!

24 comments:

  1. yayyyy! i totally forgot about the pumpkin shirt and did not even realize how much you crushed your PR by!!! awesome!!! and seriously you look so dang fit in your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that podium shot! I think you are going to be posting a lot more of those :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a great time and crushing your pr! I know you didn't quite beat the 42 minute finish but it's still an amazing time and you should be proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my hero!! Can I borrow that shirt of yours?!?! Okay....305 heart rate, YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL;) Way to go girl, you are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that shirt! And congrats on the PR! 2 minutes off a 10k PR is phenomenal! AND you ran a sub-7 average which is absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe Boston is SO CLOSE!!! Congrats on an amazing race! You seriously blow my mind away every single time. You look great in all of your photos and I love the pumpkin shirt :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Viva La PR Pumpkin!!!! I loved this report and gosh you are fabulous and fast! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been waiting to hear how you did. Good job getting a PR...sounds like it was well-earned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa mama! You killed it. What an incredible pace! You earned that spot on the podium. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats girl! So glad the power of pumpkin was with you! :) Thanks for participating!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AHHHH!!! Congrats, Rachelle, that race sounds AMAZING!!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did AMAZING!!!! 2 minutes off of your previous time is great, you are too hard on yourself...we all are. You are super speedy, it sounds like that is a pretty hard 10K with all of those hills. Great job, I love the pumpkin shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha... love that pumpkin pr shirt! (I might beg to borrow that one of these days... when a pr isn't as impossible as it is right now.)

    You did so good!!! Hills can really mess up pacing, especially starting downhill and then heading into an uphill... still you didn't lose touch, you kept in the race and you go 2nd and a pr! That's incredible!!! A lot of it is mental, too... and working on mental toughness in races like this will really prepare you for a killer rocking time when you blow that Boston out of the water! :)

    Lastly, you have such a gorgeous smile! I can't help but feel happier reading your posts because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Podiums freaking rock!!!! You still did well. Your pacing was a little crazy, but you need to take into account that there were hills- equal EFFORT doesn't always mean an equal pace. I can't wait to run a 10k with under a 7 minute pace someday! Did you win season tickets again? If you need a theater buddy, feel free to take me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. PODIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY :) I was so happy reading this. I want that pumpkin sister hood shirt I need a PR ;) 42 min 10k you're amazing! I can't WAIT to see how you do in Boston xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good job sister. You are so speedy and I'm proud that you kept going strong even though you didn't want to. That's impressive. And you look hot in all your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i would be thrilled for half of your speed! stay positive, the season is young. And you are strong! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You speedy little thing you!!!!!! WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahhh congrats!! What an incredible race!! You are speedy and you killed that PR, own it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are absolutely dynamic!! I didn't run the Hale Race (I woke up too late and got there too late to sign up) but I was out and about running the streets that morning. (It's my hometown) I actually saw you booking it up that big hill and you were so focused and incredibly amazing. You are truly my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is soo awesome Rachelle! 2nd OAF is GREAT! You're a speedy chic and I know you're going to do great in Boston! Thanks for your motivation on DM! You're a sweetheart!! Keep up the good work! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. can you even believe it is so soon?!?! i loved the hale freezes over 10k...it was my first 10k back in 2010! miss you but hope utah is still treating you so good!! hope to see you in beantown for a little reunion!xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! :)